Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I interest you in working at Amazon?
No. (Seriously, don't you people have a CRM?)
2. LOL, Amazon is terrible. Can I interest you in a VC-funded...
I prefer the more organic pace of development at companies that are bootstrapped and profitable. I'm also relatively specialized, so I'm not going to be a great fit for most Series A companies.
Also, anything involving the "gig economy" or the word "blockchain" is a hard no on ethical grounds.
3. Can we set up a quick phone call to chat?
I'd prefer to avoid phone calls for a number of reasons:
- I'm on a maker's schedule, which means interruptions are surprisingly disruptive to my flow.
- I've already tried to answer some of the most basic questions on this site, and I've probably phrased them more clearly here than I will on the phone.
- This question is asked frequently enough that my default answer has to be, if not "no," at least "read this first."
- If and when a chat does seem warranted, I'd prefer to conduct it in person or on video. The way my brain works, an audio-only call is the worst possible way to have a conversation.
4. Can you send me a copy of your resume?
I can, but it's just going to be a link.
5. Are you available for contract work?
No, and I don't know anybody who is.
6. Do you know anyone else who might be interested?
Possibly. It depends on what you're looking for, and on who I've talked to recently. Sometimes I know people who are looking for something new... but the more senior folks I know tend not to be on the market for very long (or, in some cases, ever).
7. Are you willing to relocate?
No. (This used to be FAQ #1, but it's dropped off considerably since the plague began.)
(Also, if you have an office in Portland, good for you! I might stop by occasionally. I've been remote since 2012.)